Library renovation FAQ

FAQ Scrabble tiles
Image by Joshua Miranda from Pixabay

FAQ will be updated periodically. Last updated: November 8, 2022

Q: What call number range is located on the 3rd Floor?
A: Call numbers on the 3rd Floor range from HN-Z are included in this move, with the exception of College of Community and Public Affairs and science subject materials, which are located at the UDC Library and Science Library, respectively. More information on call number locations can be found here:

Q: Where are the Bartle Library 3rd Floor books going during the renovations?
A: The majority of the 3rd Floor collection is currently on the ground floor of the Science Library. The newly-renovated ground floor fully reopened for the Spring 2022 semester, and books can be browsed and checked out anytime the Science Library is open.

Q: Is all of the 3rd Floor collection still on campus?
A: Approximately 83% of the Bartle 3rd Floor collection is currently housed in the Science Library ground floor for the duration of the 3rd Floor renovation. The remaining 17% was permanently relocated to our Annex (located in Conklin) in March 2021.

Q: How were the books that were moved to the Annex chosen?
A: The books moved to the Annex were older books (published prior to 1980) and never circulated or circulated only once in the past 40 years. These books were moved to allow for new collection acquisitions and growth on campus.

Q: Are the books at the Annex accessible?
A: Yes, these books can be requested via our ILL and Document Delivery services. In our Find It! search tool, you must be signed in to your library account to request materials. If you are not signed in, you will see a green “Sign In” button in the item record. Once after successfully authenticating with your BU computer account, you can request the book directly in the record.

Q: When will the 3rd Floor renovation be complete?
A: Renovation work on the 3rd Floor began in October 2021 and is expected to be completed in 2025.

Q: Will books be moved from the temporary location in the Science Library back to Bartle Library 3rd Floor when the renovation is complete?
A: Approximately 250,000 books will be relocated back to the 3rd Floor once the renovation is complete in 2025. The call number ranges are to be determined. The remaining books will continue to be housed in the Science Library.

Q: How was the Science Library collection impacted?
A: Approximately 11,000 books published before 1985 and never circulated were moved to the Annex. The collection was then consolidated onto the first and second floors to clear the ground floor for the compact shelving installation. After the 3rd floor is renovated and books return to Bartle Library, there will be room to move Science collections back to the ground floor, allowing us to create new study space.